February 16, 2009

From Couch to 5K in 9 weeks!

Have you all heard of this plan? In my effort to get into shape, I joined Curves, as I've talked about before, because I've gotten some good results when I used that gift certificate The Doctor gave me. I've also decided to add running to my activities, partly just for the therapeutic enjoyment, as I imagine it's kind of how dancing used to be for me, you just get lost in it. Plus, I plan on getting a puppy and dogs need to be walked, so why not run with her when she's old enough? I found the Couch to 5K plan wandering around someone's blog, I don't even know whose it was, not one I regularly read though.

I recruited my mom and one of my classmates to do the plan with me because I'm always better about working out when I do it with someone, or accountable to someone. I started last night but only made it through 10 minutes of the 20 minute run/walk. And I would have walked the rest except Snickers was NOT happy about the sound, I think he thought I was hurting the treadmill. Probably was. But I was wiped out!!! That 10 minutes was hard, but felt great afterwards. I figure this plan will probably take me longer than 9 weeks, because I might have to build up to the levels. This week I will probably do 15 minutes instead of 25 minutes, then next week I'll do 25 minutes. Today, I'm a little bit sore, but not horribly awful.

I'd love for you to join me! If you start the Couch to 5K plan this week, let me know your progress in the comments section!

1 comment:

Martha said...

Still on the couch. :) I need more inspiration!! How's it going for you this week now?