April 13, 2009

You want to know where I've been?


Here is where I've been, or rather with whom I have been occupied! Meet Penny. My adorable, sweet, cuddly black lab. I had planned on getting a lab puppy in May, I knew a friend whose mom's dogs were having puppies and they were going to give me one! I am leary of adopting grown dogs because you never know what's going on behind those eyes! But I regularly visit the animal shelter by my house to walk the dogs and let them outside for a bit. So, about a month ago, I went to the shelter and all the dogs were barking when I went to the back. Except Penny. She stood up on the door of her stall and nuzzled my hand. I decided to take her out first since she was behaving herself. I had seen her picture go up the night before and she was listed as 5 years old. I figured she was a surrender, someone had lost their job or their house and couldn't care for her, so I felt badly for her! She was so sweet when I took her outside, walking around, leaning against me for a pet :) I couldn't put her back. So, I took her home. Immediately took her for a bath because she had mud all over her from running around outside all that while! Turns out she was sick, too, so she was taken to the emergency vet, two weeks of antibiotics, was not allowed to hang with the other dogs and had to put on about 7 lbs to be at a healthy weight. Oh my goodness it was a rough first three weeks, and she ran away twice, so I thought for sure I was going to give her away to a nice big farm so she could run to her hearts desire. But look into those sweet penny-brown eyes and I just melted. So. I kept her. She's learning how to play with other dogs, how to behave on the leash, and how NOT to run like hell when the front door opens, car door opens, if there is a splinter of light in the gate she might be able to squeeze through. She loves treats. And car rides. And playing with the ball, although not so much with the giving it back, she'd much rather tease and run away with it. I'm going to train her and get her tested this summer to be a therapy dog so she can go to hospitals and cheer people up and I can take her to the library for little kids to read to her to give them confidence in their skills- wouldn't it be cute to put a patch on her therapy vest that says, "Ask my mom about Jesus" :) She is certainly
exactly what I wished for, definately a gift from God. It's funny, thinking of a dog as a blessing - but I love her and she's all that I wanted! She cuddles, she's CUTE, she's funny, she loves me the best, but is happy when my mom comes home. And, she's huge. She's 67 lbs now, and she stands as tall as my hip at the top of her head. She knew nothing. Not how to sit, not how to stay, nothing. So, we're teaching her. And how can a dog that is 5 years old not know how to sit? Hmm. She's not five years old. We figured between 3 and 4, but then we noticed she's getting a tooth in that dogs don't get until they are between 2 and 3. So that explains a lot, especially if she was bounced around from home to home and a stray for a while - she belonged to a family at one point because she's fixed already.

I'm glad I kept her. I'm glad I was able to get her medicine, she would have died otherwise. I'm glad she cuddles with me before we sleep at night and makes me laugh when I wake up in the morning. I miss her when I'm gone during the day. And I don't mind going straight home instead of shopping or errand running. She helps me with homework, if putting her chin over my typing hand is helping. I think my stress level has improved. My ability to say no to things certainly has. My exercise has improved, she's a much better behaved dog if I take her for a walk.

Thanks for missing me, if you have. And I've missed writing. But it was worth the break, more stories to come!

2 comments:

Martha said...

yes, ma'am you've been missed here but not in person. :) I want to read more of what's going on with you! Keep it up.. see you later!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are good for each other ! Good for you for taking her and taking care of her. B.