December 27, 2011

a new and improved antiviral computer

So, yes, it's been months. But I have a good excuse! My computer had a nasty, nasty virus and had to be shipped away for a complete overhaul (thank you to my California computer genius) and it's been cured. Meanwhile, in the past few months, I've also had a complete overhaul! I did a huge amount of personal purging in November which carried over into December. Now that 2011 is wrapping up I've decided to do a whole lot of material purging too, so I'm cleaning and organizing during my last week of vacation. Thank God educators get the week between Christmas and New Years off! 2011 has been good to me - I've experienced a lot, learned a lot, changed a lot, and gained a lot. Since I'm ending the year by cleaning and organizing, I'm going to share it with you as I go! Today's task was to clean out and organize my deep freezer - handy, but when food is just tossed in, you end up losing a lot (which is a waste of money and food) and you never have a grasp of what needs to be purchased. I neglected to take a before picture, but rest assured, it was a disaster. I ended up throwing away about two garbage bags of food; must remember to always (1)date the package, (2) label what the heck that is, and (3)package properly!!! Even the food saver systems break down eventually, so dating and labeling should help that. Here's what it looks like now!
I had some old dairy crates laying around, so I washed them and set them inside: one each for veggies, fish, beef and pork, and poultry. Because the crates don't fit side by side, there are spaces for larger items that would take up a whole crate anyhow - club store size bags of berries used in baking, well sealed bread flats for the following couple of weeks. There is even a slider basket across the top that holds all my baking ingredients - butter, chocolate chips, pies that have been food savered and frozen for last minute guests, etc. I cannot TELL you how much better I feel with that task done! It makes money saving, grocery shopping, time saving and cooking so much easier. Now all I do is decide the menu for the week based on what's in the deep freeze, pull the items out and put them in the regular kitchen freezer, and add items to the grocery list as needed! Next, I'll start on the basement. There will be a whole pile of donations, I'm sure. To finish up 2011, I'll give you my list of things I did in 2011 and what I'm looking forward to in 2012! Meanwhile, I want to know your favorite organizing tips!

No comments: